EXPRESSIONS of sympathy have been pouring in after the city woke to the devastating news that ten people from two local families, including children, had lost their lives in a fire at a halting site in Carrickmines.
It’s believed seven of the victims come from one family; a mother, a father and their five children including a baby.
Pavee Point Traveller and Roma Centre extended its sympathies to the family members and the extended families of those tragically killed in the fire.
“There is a need for these families to be supported at this terrible time,” said Ronnie Fay of Pavee Point.
“Local Traveller organisations have been working vigilantly since early morning to support the families involved as have a range of public services. We wish to commend in particular the fire service members who put their lives on the line in trying to rescue people from the blaze.”
The Southside Traveller Action Group also extended its deepest sympathies to the relatives of the families killed in the fire and said the two families struck by the tragedy had been living on the four-bay halting site for about eight years.
“Southside Travellers is supporting the families and the Traveller community in south Dublin, who are in a state of shock at the devastating loss of lives,” a statement read.
“Accommodation for people left homeless by the fire is being arranged by Dun Laoghaire Rathdown Co Council.
“Families gathered today at our centre in southside Dublin where we are doing everything we can to support them. We thank the gardaí for their support at this time and appeal to the media to respect the privacy of the families of those who died.”
At a press conference earlier this afternoon, Garda Chief Superintendent Diarmuid O’Sullivan, offered his condolences to the families affected and the wider Traveller community.
“We are trying to establish the cause of the fire and we have no information at the moment as to how it came about,” he said.
The Irish Traveller Movement said on its Facebook page that it had been inundated with messages of condolences and offers of support.
An Tánaiste, Joan Burton, said she was deeply saddened by the tragedy.
“I would like to express my deepest sympathies with the families of those who tragically lost their lives,” she added.
“I wish those injured the very best with their recovery.
“I would like to acknowledge the emergency services for the efficient and professional manner in which they responded to the tragedy. “
We have now finished at the #Carrickmines scene, our thoughts are with the families, friends & local community at this terribly sad time.
— Dublin Fire Brigade (@DubFireBrigade) October 10, 2015
Fianna Fáil Leader Micheál Martin has he was extremely shocked by the tragic fire.
“This is an extremely shocking incident and I want to express my deepest sympathy to the families affected by this tragedy,” he said.
“I know our emergency services are working extremely hard in difficult circumstances since early this morning to deal with this incident and they are to be commended for their service.
“My thoughts are with all those affected by this tragic incident today.”
Remember the nine who died, the bereaved and those injured in the tragic halting site fire near Carrickmines. A sad sad day.
— Father Brian D’Arcy (@FrBrianDarcy) October 10, 2015
Sinn Fein leader, Gerry Adams, described this morning’s news as “horrific”.
“My thoughts are with the family bereaved and with the fire fighters and first responders,” he added.
Minister for Communications and local Labour Party TD, Alex White, said: “Our thoughts and prayers are with those who are currently battling with their injuries, and the families and friends of the all those who died.
“I want to commend the heroic efforts of our emergency services who with great courage and professionalism attend the scene of such desperate tragedy.”
— Archdiocese Dublin (@DublinDiocese) October 10, 2015