Gangs bringing terror to Stepaside

Dublin People 05 Nov 2016
Gangs bringing terror to Stepaside

A PUBLIC meeting in Stillorgan this week is to hear from Southside residents who have been terrorised by roving gangs of youths that have invaded the Stepaside area. 

According to one local, who did not want to be named, gangs of as many as 50 youngsters are congregating around the village in organised meet-ups. This man claimed to have spoken to community gardaí about the problem and said officers were aware of the gatherings which are being arranged on social media.

“They’re coming in from all around the other areas, basically because they can,” he said.

“There is no longer a Garda station in Stepaside, as we all well know, and the nearest ones are miles away in Blackrock and Dundrum.

“So these gangs are organising to meet in local parks and areas like Stepaside Village, Stepaside Park, Cairnfort and Cruagh, where they are intimidating local people and roaming about.

“I recently intervened when I saw a local mother of young children surrounded by around 25 teenagers. She was asking them to keep down the noise level. I approached the lady to assist and the gang turned on me and became very abusive.

“I’m not easily intimidated as I weigh 17 stone and I am 6’1’. But my house was then attacked with rockets and bangers that evening.

“Since then the gardaí have been more active in patrolling the area and squad cars have been in the estates, but on Halloween things really got out of hand.

“It had been escalating in recent months but it reached a frightening level that night with the deployment of the Garda Public Order Unit in Cairnfort and Stepaside Park.

“The gang swelled to over 50 and large numbers of gardaí, some with shields, arrived and removed some of the gang members that were caught. 

“There is real concern among residents that this is only the beginning and matters will worsen in the coming months,” he added.

This man said he had contacted his local TDs and councillors requesting that they liaise with gardaí in Dundrum and Blackrock to address the issue and to ask for an increase in Garda patrols in the area.

Writing in response, Deputy Josepha Madigan (FG) said she was aware of the issue surrounding anti-social behaviour in Stepaside.

“It cannot continue,” she said. “I intend to bring this issue before the Dáil. I hope to address these anti-social problems urgently so that you and your neighbours can live free of this intimidation and terror.”

Deputy Shane Ross (Ind) added: “I am absolutely appalled and saddened by what you describe in your email. I have always maintained that the closure of Stepaside Garda station was a mistake, and the increased crime in the area since the closure validates this view. 

“The Government has agreed that an independent assessment of the closed Garda stations in the country would be undertaken and that from that review, six Garda stations will be reopened. I am of the view that Stepaside should be one of those stations.”

Cllr Lynsey McGovern (Ind) said it was absolutely shocking.

“l was in touch with the local gardaí who are going to do their best to have these areas patrolled well this week,” she stated. “With the schools being off there is concern that this could arise again.”

Cllr Chris Curran (SF) said he shared local frustration.

“On Halloween night, I journeyed around the area and spotted six different groups of roving young people, all with alcohol with them,” he stated. “I witnessed a group diving into and destroying the bushes in Sandyford Hall. “Given the expected population growth in Cherrywood, Ballyogan, Glenamuck as well as dozens of smaller development, it’s my belief that a new fully resourced Garda station is required as a matter of urgency.”

A meeting of the Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown Joint Policing Committee will take place in the Talbot Hotel (formerly Stillorgan Park) at 7pm on Wednesday, November 9 to discuss local policing issues.

Related News