Motorbikes are damaging historic site at Drumanagh

Dublin People 08 Mar 2017
The historic Drumanagh site in Loughshinny.

FINGAL County Council will this week commence works at the historic Drumanagh site in Loughshinny to prevent motorbike scrambling activity in the area.

The council will start the works on the National Monument site tomorrow after receiving consent from the Minister for Arts, Heritage, Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.

The aim of the works is to secure the site and prevent unauthorised access by vehicles while continuing to allow pedestrian access to the scenic headland, located between Rush and Skerries.

Fingal County Council acquired the 18-hectare site at Drumanagh last year for a sum believed to be in the region of €1m following protracted negotiations with the former owners of the land.

The site contains a promontory fort and is one of the most impressive monuments of its type in Ireland. Some historians believe there is evidence to suggest that Drumanagh may have been used as a Roman trading post.

As part of the council works, the remnants of a modern cattle shed will be removed and some perimeter fencing will be erected. Two pedestrian access points will be provided – one to the north near Loughshinny and one to the south of the site – together with a secured entrance for vehicles.

Works are being carried out under archaeological supervision and are expected be completed by March 16. There will continue to be full access to the site for walkers for the duration of the works.

Gerry Clabby, Fingal County Council’s Heritage Officer, said the site has been damaged by motorbike scrambling activity on several occasions.

“These works will prevent unauthorised vehicles, including motorcycles, from accessing the site,” he said. “Given its importance, the council’s first duty is to safeguard the site, to prevent damaging activities and to provide for safe and suitable public access to this remarkable landscape.”

Related News