Former People journalist exposes London missiles plan

Dublin People 05 May 2012
Brian Whelan who exposed British MOD plans last week

FORMER Northside People reporter Brian Whelan has made international headlines after he exposed plans by the British Ministry of Defence to locate an anti-terrorist missile system on the roof of his apartment complex.

Whelan (28), from Baldoyle, a journalist who now works as an editor with Yahoo, first revealed British Army plans to install high velocity surface-to-air missiles, during the Olympic Games, on top of his apartment building in the gated community of Bow Quarter.

“There was no consultation, no-one knocked on the door. You just wake up one morning, there’s a leaflet telling you they are going to put missiles on the roof,

? he said in an interview with Reuters.

Last November, the British Government first announced the plan to secure London from any possible airborne terrorist attacks during the Olympics.

Earlier this year, it confirmed it was assessing potential sites within a kilometre of Olympic Park. In a leaflet sent to residents at Bow Quarter two weeks ago, the British Ministry of Defence said it had chosen to locate the missiles there because it was

“the only suitable site in this area for the High Velocity Missile system

? and because it offered

“an excellent view of the surrounding area and the entire sky above the Olympic Park

?.

Brian Whelan gave numerous media interviews and Twitter updates on the progress of the missile installation, even posting a video of what appears to be unguarded missiles on the roof.

“I didn’t spend years opposing machinery of war being shipped through Ireland to end up with it on top of my apartment,

? he posted on Twitter.

A meeting entitled

‘No Missiles in East London’ took place last Friday night, and Brian insists he has

“no regrets

? about whistleblowing on the Olympics missiles plan.

Related News