Roy Keane launches Guide Dog DayPadraig Conlon 14 Apr 2022
Football legend Roy Keane has helped to launch Irish Guide Dogs for the Blind’s national fundraising campaign Guide Dog Day which takes place on Friday 27 May.
This year the charity is asking everyone to get active by walking, running or swimming at 100km in May for Guide Dog Day (#100k4GDD) or to donate at www.guidedogs.ie.
Despite the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic, the charity successfully matched 73 Guide Dog and Assistance Dog partnerships in 2021 and placed 4 Community Dogs in schools and facilities around the country.
This year the charity’s resilient community of Clients, Volunteers and Supporters, who are able to return to on-street fundraising, are determined to change the lives of 85 families and are calling on the public to help.
- Breeding Programme continues to grow with 4 litters successfully born to the end of March this year.
- 108 puppies currently being puppy raised. These pups will be the dogs who start formal training later in 2022 and during 2023.
- 35 pups currently undergoing formal training who will hopefully be successfully matched in the coming months.
- 97 families on the waiting list for the Assistance Dog Programme.
Tim O’Mahony, CEO of Irish Guide Dogs for the Blind said:
“This year Guide Dog Day will see our community of Volunteers nationwide finally back out in their localities doing on-street collections and other event and activities.
“The funds raised in May will mean 85 families’ lives will be changed before the end of the year which is a tremendous incentive.”
About Guide Dog Day
Guide Dog Day is an annual fundraising day which takes place on Friday, 27 May. Irish Guide Dogs for the Blind is asking everyone to take the #100k4GDD Challenge by walking, running, cycling or swimming 100km for Guide Dog Day during the month of May.
100km during the month of May is the recommended distance but participants may choose a higher figure, or a much lower figure may represent a significant challenge.
Whatever distance, by taking part in the challenge you’re helping to change lives.
The #100k4GDD Challenge:
- Walk, run or swim 100km during the month of May
- Sign up at guidedogs.ie
- Fundraising packs for the first 3,000 entries
- Anyone raising over €100 through the Raisely fundraising platform will be entered into a prize draw for a number of PAWsome prizes.
Of course, not everyone will want to take on the Challenge. Whatever activity or event is done, or donation is made, every contribution will make a difference.