Announcing the Griffith Avenue MilePadraig Conlon 17 May 2023
The Griffith Avenue Mile 2023 will take place on Griffith Avenue in Drumcondra on September 17th 2023 featuring 2,000 runners and walkers of all abilities.
Confirming the 2023 event, the Griffith Avenue Mile team say they are delighted to announce a five year partnership with Dublin City University to ensure the long term future of what has become the most unique road race in Dublin city.
DCU have been supporters of the event since its return in 2019 and this renewed long term partnership establishes the Griffith Avenue Mile on the calendar for years to come.
DCU lead one of the best and most successful University Athletics programmes in the country and some of their elite athletes will take part in the race with news of this to follow.
The All Hallows Area Association and Marino Athletics Club are proud to bring the Griffith Avenue Mile event to our local neighbourhood again for the third time since its revival in 2019.
The event gets bigger and better each year, and this year will be no different featuring 2,000 runners and walkers of all abilities, showcasing the beautiful Griffith Avenue – a unique double tree lined avenue in Europe and the perfect setting for a community day out, or a more challenging run for those looking to set a time on a one mile road course.
- The race is made possible by our strategic partner, Dublin City University and is supported by Dublin City Council Sport & Wellbeing Partnership and our sponsors
- The event is officially supported by governing body Athletics Ireland
- We are honoured to confirm Olympian and former indoor mile world record holder Eamon Coghlan as our Race Ambassador
- A full day of activities is being planned including a post race event
- Due to strong demand, we plan to increase capacity by 30% in comparison to 2022 to a total of 2,000 participants
- The race will be open to those of all abilities – walkers and runners, fun and elite, young and old
- The race committee is now seeking sponsors and partners who would be willing to support this unique and special event. Contact us at GriffithAvenueMile.ie
- More news, announcements, & special guests to follow – follow us on social media
Daire Keogh, President of Dublin City University said “DCU is a place-based university, and as proud members of the North Dublin community we are delighted to commit our long-term support to this fantastic event.
“The Griffith Avenue Mile is a unique fixture in the Irish athletics calendar that reflects our University’s passion for sports participation, inclusion, and sporting excellence.”
“This five-year agreement is part of DCU’s wider involvement in Irish Athletics, which includes our redevelopment of Morton Stadium, the National Athletics Stadium, and our students’ outstanding record of success at intervarsity, national and international levels.”
Race Ambassador Eamon Coghlan said: “The Griffith Avenue Mile is a great event for runners of all abilities.
“It provides the opportunity to test yourself over a middle distance, while enjoying the surroundings of one of Dublin’s iconic avenues.
“As any participant from previous years will attest there is a tremendous atmosphere made up of fun and a bit of healthy competition for those who want it.”
The Griffith Avenue Mile organising Committee say they would like to sincerely thank all their sponsors and supporters in particular Dublin City University, Dublin City Council Sport & Wellbeing Partnership, 123.ie, C&T Superstore, Gallagher Quigley, Greystar, GS Infra, Louise Copeland & Sons, Marino Institute of Education and Movehome.ie