A MAJOR planning application for an
?¬18m cruise berth facility at Dún Laoghaire Harbour has been lodged with An Bord Pleanála.
The application was made on July 3 by Dún Laoghaire Harbour Company on behalf of the Dún Laoghaire Cruise Stakeholder Group.
The planning application is being submitted as a strategic infrastructure project, meaning it goes straight to An Bord Pleanála and bypasses the normal Dún Laoghaire Rathdown County Council planning process.
Plans for the facility have been developed so that Dún Laoghaire Harbour can accommodate next generation cruise ships.
The Dún Laoghaire Stakeholder Group is made up of Dún Laoghaire Harbour Company, Dún Laoghaire Rathdown County Council and the Dún Laoghaire Bid Company.
Ahead of finalising its plans, the Stakeholder Group carried out a pre-planning public consultation in April. Since then, the plans have been modified to take on board the results of the consultation process with the harbour users and general public.
CEO of Dún Laoghaire Harbour Company, Gerry Dunne, said:
“The cruise industry is an important and growing sector of the tourism market. Cruise ships are getting bigger in size, offering more facilities to passengers, but requiring deeper water and longer berths to accommodate them.
“Over 50 per cent of new ships currently on order are over 300m in length. At present, Cobh is the only port in Ireland that can accommodate these vessels at any time. This means that Ireland, as a whole, is losing out on a growing and lucrative tourism market.
?
Mr Dunne explained that at present, Dún Laoghaire Harbour must provide tendering services to large cruise ships in order to bring passengers to land, which he described as a
“cumbersome approach and a negative factor for many cruise operators
?.
He noted that in recent weeks, Dún Laoghaire has lost a number of cruise calls to Dublin Port which can facilitate these large liners by reversing up the Liffey during high tide.
“In changing their berthing plans to Dublin Port, cruise operators have been very clear that their only reason for the change rests with the convenience of bringing passengers right into harbour, both from a safety and efficiency point of view,
? Mr Dunne stated.
“The plans for a suitable berthing facility will put Dún Laoghaire in a prime position to attract cruise business. As a harbour, Dún Laoghaire has been mandated by the Government to exploit its potential as a marine leisure facility, and winning and developing cruise business is a central part of our work in this
?°regard.
?
Under the plans submitted to An Bord Pleanála, the following will be considered:
?¢A 435 metre pier, with an underpass to cater for the passage of club launches.
?¢ Dredging of an access channel from outside the Harbour to St Michael’s Pier, including a 500m diameter turning circle outside the harbour mouth.
?¢ A shared-use pedestrian and private vehicle access zone adjacent to the existing marina and connecting to the Marina Eastern Breakwater to Harbour Road.
?¢ A new high-quality footpath along Harbour Road.
?¢ Ancillary site and landscape works.
Meanwhile, local Independent councillor Victor Boyhan has called for an oral hearing into the application.
In a statement to Southside People, he said:
“Given that it is stated Government policy to transfer Dún Laoghaire Harbour over to Dún Laoghaire Rathdown County Council in the very near future, and the fact that Dublin Port authorities are pursuing a similar cruise ship terminal in the city, I believe it would be premature and unwarranted at this time to pursue an
?¬18m cruise berth facility for Dún Laoghaire.
?
Cllr Boyhan pointed out that, in certain cases, An Bord Pleanála may decide to facilitate an oral hearing into a planning project.
“Given the potential impact and local and regional significance of this proposal, I have prepared a submission for the board respectfully asking them to agree to convene an oral hearing into all aspects of the harbour cruise terminal project.
?
Cllr Boyhan claimed there was considerable local disquiet over the cruise berth proposal.
“There is concern about the level of disruption that would be caused to sailing activities in the vicinity of the harbour during the construction period,
? he stated.
Part of Mr Boyhan’s submission to An Bord Pleanála reads:
“Dún Laoghaire Harbour is a Protected Structure. This proposal needs to be fully assessed as to its impact on existing and related marine activities, as well as established harbour uses operating successfully within Dún Laoghaire Harbour.
“There are major concerns that this project will seriously undermine and compromise the fabric and setting of this unique coastal heritage site and leisure harbour.
?
Cllr Boyhan said he remained hopeful that An Bord Pleanála would respond favourably to his request for an oral hearing. He added that the decision of the board is final and cannot be further appealed.
A spokesperson for Dún Laoghaire Harbour Company said the plans will be subject to consultation through the formal planning process.
Members of the public can review the planning submission and associated environmental impact report – free of charge – in the offices of An Bord Pleanála on Marlborough Street, Dublin 1, or at the civic offices of Dún Laoghaire Rathdown County Council. In addition, a dedicated website (www.dlcruiseplan.ie) contains all the relevant documentation.
The public can now submit observations on the plans to An Bord Pleanála over a seven-week period. The fee to make a submission or objection is
?¬50.