Dublin People

Retailers in F1 race plea

The Vodafone McLaren-Mercedes F1 team has been signed up for the Bavaria street racing exhibition. Dublin retailers have concerns about the route the racing will take.

HARD-PRESSED city centre retailers fear they will
suffer millions of euro in lost trading as a result of the Formula 1 Bavaria
City Racing spectacle, according to the CEO of Arnotts.

In correspondence seen by Northside People and sent to
Dublin City Council, Arnotts CEO Nigel Blow called on the city manager to
consider the financial implications for businesses as a result of the Formula 1
car race, which takes place on Sunday, June 3.

According to Mr Blow, Arnotts and countless other
retailers in the city centre already took a major financial hit during the
visit by Queen Elizabeth and President Barack Obama last May.

“We can conservatively estimate that we lost in excess
of

?¬850,000 in sales revenues across the eight day period in our Arnotts and
Boyers stores; that being the case city centre retailers must have lost tens of
millions of euro combined over the same period, none of which is recovered in
subsequent weeks,

? Mr Blow stated in his letter.

“Therefore we can only assume that the closure of
O’Connell Bridge for this event [Bavaria City Racing] will once again deter
shoppers from coming into the city centre to shop on June 3 and that we will
lose out again to the tune of around

?¬100k in sales on that date, equating to
millions across all retailers.

The Bavaria City Racing event, which will see the
closure of O’Connell Bridge, will feature world famous Formula 1 teams and
drivers, including former world champion Jenson Button.

The track starts at the Convention Centre and
continues along Customs House Quay, crossing Butt Bridge and onto D’Olier
Street past College Green and the Central Bank on Dame Street before reaching
the chequered flag on O’Connell Bridge.

The event is expected to attract 150,000 spectators
and generate millions of euro in tourism revenue. But there’ll be no windfall
for city centre retailers if the race goes ahead in its proposed format,
according to Mr Blow.

While the Arnotts CEO said he was not opposed to the
event, he was certain that an alternative route could have been chosen, taking
into consideration the effect on local businesses.

“I cannot emphasise enough that I am not against well
organised events of this magnitude taking place in the city centre but I would
ask you to give more consideration to the retailers when you are making these
key decisions,

? he stated in his correspondence to the council.

“I am sure you could have authorised a route that
could have minimised disruption and maintained clear access rather than
inevitably deterring customers from venturing into town to shop on a very
important trading day.

He concluded:

“In summary, as a very significant rate
payer, could I please ask that you reconsider your decision to close O’Connell
Bridge and that you authorise a different route that will aid the flow of
traffic both on foot or by motor vehicle in and out of the city centre on June
3.

Mr Blow made reference to an alternative route using
the Samuel Becket Bridge and the Docklands that was previously suggested to the
council.

City councillor Mannix Flynn (Ind) believes the effect
of road closures and restrictions hasn’t yet hit home with many residents and
retailers.

“I really don’t think that people have considered what
effect the road restrictions will have on retailers and residents,

? he told
Northside People.

“While I think the event is positive, it is important
that the impact on traders is considered, especially in the context of an
already poor economy and the detrimental impact that the closing off of the
city for eight days last year had on businesses.

He added:

“I think for all future events Dublin City
Council should consult with retailers and residents before it gives the
go-ahead.

A spokesperson for Dublin City Council said it was
unable to confirm if a final decision has been made on the road closure.

“Dublin City Council welcomes the opportunities events
such as these bring to promote the city,

? the spokesperson stated.

Exit mobile version